Please consider a donation to The Ark
The Ark is currently 100% funded through events and donations. Your support is appreciated.
// Donate to The Ark
Viroqua’s New Non-profit Community Arts Center, the ARK, is in need of assistance.
If you would like to help, please consider making a donation to do so. The ARK’s 501(c)3 application has been accepted by the IRS.
All levels of giving are welcome from $5 to $50,000. The ARK is a center for all ages, abilities and economic circumstances. The ARK appreciates any and all gifts given.
We (the founding board members) also appreciate the generous labor donated by dozens of volunteers, over 2,000 hours as of October 1st, 2012. If you would like to join the growing list of ARK volunteers, call us, email us, or stop by.
The Ark is in its first year of operation, so we have yet to finalize spaces, activities and fees. This first year we are counting primarily on community support as we refurbish the building and vision, plan, strategize and implement studio spaces, programs, activities and events.
Using the word “we” is intended to be inclusive as anyone who chooses to get involved is a part of “we”. The founding board members are creating a presence and holding the container called the ARK… What/who “WE” become is dependent upon “YOU”.
We need financial support for the following:
- Basic operating costs in excess of revenues generated.We are offering the community an opportunity to engage with us in the development of this community art space. Operating costs such as heat, electric, water, insurance, phones etc must be accommodated and no amount of volunteering will make them go away. We are estimating no less than $20,000 for the first year of operation just for these immutable costs. In this nascent development phase of the ARK our fee structure is flexible thus all revenue received, through use fees, fundraising events, donations and gifts must go toward this overhead first. It can be difficult to separate the urgency of these needs from the need to physically stabilize the building environment and begin to provide a safe community building. We have prioritized a list of 170 items and are attacking them as quickly as time and money allow. It’s building science triage and as many are aware, we have begun many of them to great effect!
- Full-time administrative staffing costs.Two of our board members are acting as co-directors on a voluntary basis. The board would like to pay them each a part-time salary for their commitment and work on an ongoing basis. We plan for salary and tax expenses to be a total of $20,000 / year for a Creative Director, Administrative Assistant, Bookkeeper and janitor.
- Capital Improvements.We bought 11,000 square feet of 115 year old building for less than $5 per square foot. Quite a bargain in many ways. Much improvement is needed for the health and safety of the people who use the space and the integrity of the building. Planning these improvements is an ongoing process. It is integrally dependent on future space utilization and economics. We are consulting with architects, artists, builders, theatre people, acoustic people, masons, energy consultants, building inspectors, engineers and more to synthesize the best plan moving forward.Phase One:
- Stabilize the building; eliminate water intrusion, remediate indoor air quality, investigate and plan for the future;
- Open as much of the first floor and theatre as possible to begin programming events, gallery space, limited kitchen and teaching spaces;
- Add a handicap accessible bathroom facility.
- Renovate the second floor and the basement for teaching studios, more gallery space;
- Renovate the heating and cooling systems, insulate the building (some of the furnaces are 50 years old).
- Renovate the performance space with superb viewing and hearing features. Make a new exciting space worthy of drawing audiences from the three state area.
Each part of the plan has already begun. Different parts are in different phases of planning, funding and implementing. Some items in the detailed list of tasks for each part of the plan have already been completed. Much remains to accomplish. We estimate total capital costs at approximately $250,000 over 3 – 5 years. We welcome you to talk to us and ask any questions about our vision, our plans and what ever details interest you. Our books are open for review.
- Please consider giving to the ARK to help create a community center for arts and education. We accept cash and checks directly, and debit or credit cards online.
- If you wish to pay via debit or credit card, click on the Donate Button below. A Paypal account is NOT REQUIRED to donate via debit or credit card.
- If donating by cash stop by the ARK during office hours: Monday, Tuesday, Friday from 11AM – 1PM and Wednesday, Thursday from 6PM – 8PM or call to make an appointment.
- To donate by check, make check payable to The ARK and mail to PO Box 124, Viroqua, WI 54665.