The Ark 2017 Annual Appeal
Dear Friend of The Ark,
Because of you, we are now In our fifth year of offering programs, classes and events in the Viroqua community! The Ark continues its commitment to inspire you and enrich the Southwest Wisconsin region. I am writing to ask you to make a donation which will allow us to grow our offerings, support our staff and keep the building warm while you attend a class, event or eat in The Ark Cafe. All donations received by December 28th will be doubled by a generous $4000 matching gift by Headwater Farms! We are proud to offer you a progress report for our 2016 and 2017 programs and projects:
- Annual Harvest Parade
- Two art openings in the new Sky Gallery by Elliot Medow and Frank Wildingway
- Viroqua Community Theater play, “The Odd Couple”
- Two original theater pieces by Frank Wildingway
- Musical Chairs concert series with Tim Eddy
- Continuing World Music Concert Series: Saraswathi Ranganathan
- Turn Up the Heat Circus fundraiser
- Updated Ark Cinema and launched film series in 2017
- The Ark Café offers healthy, simple, inexpensive lunches to the community, generating operating funds and local exposure and press
- Ongoing: Bricolage Aerial Silks, Three Fold Path QiGong, Wild Peace Sangha, Bujinkan, yoga for women, karate, spoon carving group, community singing, Firefly Brass Band, drum circle, songwriting, Irish and Scandinavian music sessions
- Thoreau College, Youth Initiative High School, Kickapoo Homeschool Group and the Viroqua Food Co-op and The Open Door utilize The Ark for programming and fundraisers.
- The Ark hosted one wedding and two memorial services.
- The Ark Café was upgraded and licensed as a commercial kitchen and the café space was decorated and furnished by Connie and Elliot. In 2017, a conditional use zoning permit was granted for ongoing lunch service.
- The Sky level movement studio and annex gallery were remodeled
- New theater seating installed, thanks to Gundersen Lutheran Hospital
- Sound system upgraded, projector and digital video screen installed
- Eight windows and front door replaced, thanks in part to a generous grant from the Organic Valley employee gift giving fund
- One furnace replaced
- Upgraded electrical, fire exit signs and other safety measures per Viroqua Fire Department
- Tile mural on South Garden Level wall was begun by Sara Mathes
- Larry Young initiated and continues work on the Creation Story Room
- The office moved to the Sky Level North Room
Our Administrative Milestones
- Received three-year Wisconsin Arts Board Grant to support programming
- VARC partnership for cleaning services in its 4th year
- Partners with Community Hunger Solutions
- Ongoing grant writing volunteer effort established
- Hired professional Accountant/Bookkeeper
Plans, Hopes, and Dreams for 2018
- Expanded Family/Youth programming in art, music, theater, and culture
- Quarterly Cabaret fundraising events
- Continue World Music Concert Series by world-class musicians
- Ongoing art openings in the Sky Gallery
- Continue all ongoing classes and community programs
- Focus on grant writing to support operational costs and more programming
- Increase ease and efficiency of space reservation process
- Paint the exterior of the building
As you plan your year-end charitable contributions, please consider donating to The Ark.
Tell your friends about us and bring them along. We look forward to seeing you often during this coming year!
We are pleased to announce that, thanks to the generosity of Headwater Farm’s, the first $4000 we receive from you will double! Donations must be received by December 28th to be included in the matching gift.
Thank you for your ongoing support,
Frank Wildingway Board Chair
Please make your check payable to The ARK and mail it to:
The ARK, P.O. Box 124, Viroqua, WI 54665 or
Online payments accepted: www.thearkviroqua.org
The Ark is a 501c3 non-profit. Contributions are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.